No Doe Left Behind.

This past weekend was a busy one. I usually choose to not hunt the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I go out to the farm every other weekend and I typically like this one to be down time for travel and spend it at home with the family.  It ended up that I had my cousin’s fiancés bridal shower that day in town so I would be going out there anyway. What this meant was I could head out a bit early and hunt with the group while they pushed woods. So I loaded up Zoey and headed out to the farm on Saturday at 8am. I got changed and she did her thing with my mom.  The group came over and off we went.

We started by my parents’ house along for the thruway. I have a spot that I always stand in. I am usually lucky there, if a deer comes by me 9 out of 10 times it will go down.  This time half way thru the push one came running by and which my 20 gauge I took a single shot. Fur flew, she jumped, and off she ran. You never leave your post until the push is over because 1, people in your hunting group will not know where you went and it is dangerous, 2 you never know what might come out of the woods ie coyote, doe, fox, or monster buck.  My dad showed up and nothing else came out. I told him I hit a doe, and he went to the other end of the trail to see if I would spook her out while tracking. I went back and found her puff of fur I started to walk the train and not 5’ I found blood. Not just a little blood but a lot. So tracking I went.

She went about 150 yards through thick bushes and thicket. These are the trails that I wear a hat for because if I don’t I get stuck in trees. I’m not sure if other women hunters have this problem in the woods by I have gotten stuck in more than one tree in my hunting life.  As I followed I could hear the semis pass and then I saw her. Half way up a bush that she was trying to jump over. She didn’t make it over it and all I thought was “How the hell am I going to get her out of here?!” I yelled to my cousin who was in the upper field waiting for me to come out that I got her. Then I asked if I could leave her. This was not going to be easy.

I unloaded my gun and put it on the ground. Then I grabbed her and dragged. About 3’-5’ increments. Out of the tree thru the thicket, over some fallen trees and up the hill to the field. I got halfway there and went back to grab my gun and took that up and put it in the field by J; that is something I need to not lose. Back to the deer I went and out she came. Lou gave me a hand at the end when I got close enough for them to not have to bury themselves in the bushes. I was huffing and puffing and thankful that I workout and lift weights otherwise she may have been left halfway in a tree.

The truck pulled up, my dad came back the group gathered. A single shot through the shoulder. My slug broke the bone and created the perfect shot; in my opinion.  I was even told that just because I was about 10’ off of where I should have been, I was shooting at a running deer, through thick bushes and I pulled of one single great shot. I have to say that with my shotgun I can outshoot a lot of people; as I toot my own horn there. But in the end I was proud and happy. I cleaned her and my cousin took a photo as I’m pretty swift with my skills.

After that we hung her up and went for two more drives and got one more large doe. This one was taken by my brother’s father in law Larry.  It came upon 11:30 and it was time for me to end my hunt and shower.  You can’t go to a nice wedding shower looking like a stinky bloody mess.


Besides the deer that morning I had a phone call from my dad around 7pm that night. He got his monster. My dad shot at a beautiful 10point in bow season but to no avail he disappeared. Well Saturday morning he saw him sitting and as he stated during our morning push that he “Was walking because he’s going after that buck.” Which he did that night. With my grandpas rifle he sat and waited. The buck appeared around 500 yards and closed to mid-400 yards. He took his shot and knew that the buck was hit. My dad knowing what he knows waited until 7pm to go track him. Even though it was dark, the deer should have died by then and would not be tempted to up and try to run. Well he got found him exactly where he figured he would be. Great shot and deer taken by my dad.
I hope this year I will be able to find a big buck to take down but this season, even if it just filled with does, will still be successful.
You can see the photos from this weekend here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s